Tuesday 26 November 2013

Fault present, diagnostics complete!

Well, I thought that I had known every mm of the bike and was believing my issues were sealed in the mystery of epoxy, but I should have know better.The bike has stopped completely now, and with no spark present, it was time to get to the nitty gritty of finding the cause of all my troubles.

It didnt take long to remove the tank and seat to where i could easily access the wiring connectors.
But, with me being me, I was soon distracted from diagnosing the problem and fitted the new genuine KTM throttle cables as it would provide some sort of progress towards riding again.

It was at this point that there was no option Damn!... forgot to bring the multimeter home. Hmmmm... Looking around, I found a test light, a small flat blade screwdriver, and cut a piece of wire to make a continuity light using the bike battery. Using this I can check continuity on each of the coils/wiring on the bike to check for faulty components.

Uh oh! No continuity in the stator. I pull the bash plate and gear lever to pull the cover off to find the following....

I think that it may be a repercussion of an earlier failure where the bottom end was rebuilt, but the heads of three of the hex bolts have busted off and fallen into the stator and made a bit of a mess. I really hope that this is last of the troubles on this machine!! A quick trip to eBay us and a couple of hundred lighter to sort out a replacement stator and flywheel (the bolt heads have worn metal out of the flywheel) and I should be on the way shortly. 

Stripped down and awaiting parts, I move onto the dream of a new machine and working on the IT while I wait.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to hang out. We'll catch up soon!