Wednesday 16 October 2013

2013 - The year that was......nearly!

Well, its taken just over thirty years to get here...., and where is here you might ask? The white picket fence (minus the pickets), and the 2.4 chidren (2.0 actually). Add to that, the 2 cars, dogs, fish, mortgage, etc, etc. Yep, Ive made the everyday dream life a reality. But now what.....

From a very early age, i can always remember having an addiction to a busy and what I would call intense lifestyle. I mean, I am not jumping out of perfectly good aeroplanes every five minutes, but always looking for the next experience that life can provide. That is except for one staple ingredient,..my noble steed.





There have been many 'steeds' in my life so far. Some of these include (but not limited to) QR50, DS80, YZ80's,CR125M, KX125, 300EXC, DT200R, A100N, CBR600F, and of course my current mistress the 250EXC-F.


I must say, I am not the religious type, but I must have been blessed to have my passion at my fingertips, although not always the funds....



I can remember the coldest nights, where I had put all my day clothes on and was still freezing my a$# off. Then reaching over to get a mouthful of water, only to find the water had formed a solid layer and nothing coming out. There was still something exciting about scraping the ice from the seat in preperation for the ride to follow. Even with the extremes at the other end of the scale, where 2000 riders had shown up to ride 50 kilometers of dry, barron, dusty ground, in 40+ degree heat. There is something eerily soothing about sharing a smile with a mouth full of brown teeth, hanging out with fellow riders for a cold beverage , and talking about how you ate s&$# on the transit that just transposed.





The last 12 months, I turned the big 3.0.! (I know thats still young for some of you). I havent had a ride this year due to the rigours of life and the timing chain tensioner letting go on the 250EXC-F.


Catastrophic! I know, but also another reason, why I have turned into a lazy ass and feel all depressed while I try to gather the funds for the required repairs. Enter good exchange rate for US parts!


After a rediculous quote of 3K+ for a top end from a large motorcycle chain (to remain unnamed). I decided to go it alone. I am no slouch when it come to mechnical work (Nearly dual trade Auto Electrican/ Diesel Fitter), and having rebuilt and assisted many others, I feel I am up to the task. Thanks to Ebay(US) and KTMpartsonline(AUS), I know have myself a quite (sort of thanks to the FMF Ti), smooth running, 280EXC-F! Keen as mustard to hit the dirt!

Everything happens for a reason I guess, I got a chance to go for a snowboard after the required duties on a businees trip to NZ, numberous hatches/matches and dispatches, and have got to spend a bit of time with the wife/kids and friends on 4WD/camping and drinking adventures, as well as a few trips to sight in down the range.


So, Ive decided to ramp things up a little. I hope to motivate others stuck in the 'daily grind' to appreciate the things that this country has to offer. Get off your a@# and find the things that make you happy! I dont want to hear how s$%# you life is on Facebook, I just want to know when we can go for a ride!

We are booked out until the Xmas break (Managed to scedule two rides in before the end of the year!) Next year is going to bring alot of change, back to my usual self. Happy, easy going, dirt biking me.

Keep posted as I run in the 280EXC-F, and start the IT250K project!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to hang out. We'll catch up soon!